Both 1080 and 1080 TI, are excellent, however, both of them do have some differences that make one of them better than the other.
1080 was launched in May 2016, it was a replacement for 980, and it was considered a step up in gaming performance. It sports over seven billion transistors, and its power pack of cards can do wonders if they are matched with a perfectly capable CPU, such as an i5-7700K or more.
1080 is an incredible graphics card that is perfect for 1440p or some light 4K gaming, while 1080 TI is a more expensive version of 1080, however, it has more memory, bandwidth as well as other improvements that push much more pixels.
If you want to know which one is better, then it isn’t easy to answer as it depends on many factors, let’s look at those factors. I have listed almost all the differences in this table between 1080 and 1080 TI.
|Transistors||7.2 billion||12 billion|
|Memory||8GB GDDR5||11GB GDDR5|
|Die size||314 nm||471 nm|
|Base clock||1607 MHz||1480 MHz|
|Boost clock||1733 MHz||1582 MHz|
|Memory clock||1251 MHz||1376 MHz|
|Texture rate||257 GT/s||331 GT/s|
|Memory bandwidth||224.4 GB/s||484.4 GB/s|
|Pixel rate||102 GP/s||130 GP/s|
Keep reading to know more.
1080: Pros and Cons
- It is perfect for 1440p.
- Excellent value.
- Isn’t powerful enough for 4K.
1080 TI: Pros and Cons
- It is excellent for 1440p and some 4K.
- Incredible performance.
- It doesn’t provide great value for money.
- It contains the same TDP as the Titan series (250W).
Which is better a 1080 or 1080 TI?
The fact that, whichever you choose, you can’t go wrong. Both 1080 and 1080 Ti are excellent and provide incredible levels of performance. They both are capable of supporting 1440p along with high settings configured, which will place them among the best of best graphics cards.
However, you should choose 1080 if you have a tight budget, while 1080 TI is best for people where money is not an issue.
Here is a video that compares 1080 and 1080 TI, watch the video to learn more about them.
What is a 1080 TI equivalent to?
The 1080 TI is equivalent to the RTX 2070 Super as well as 5700 XT, as they both deliver comparable performances. If you use the highest in-game settings, you will over 60 fps while gaming at 1440p.
The 1080 TI is a graphics card that was specifically for the enthusiast class, it was launched in March 2017. Moreover, it’s created with a 16nm process and is based on the GP102 processor, in the GP102-350-K1-A1 variant, the card can support DirectX 12, which makes sure that all the modern games must run on the 1080 TI.
1080 TI has many other cool features, however, there are other graphics cards that are considered equivalent to it, for instance, the RTX 2070 Super.
What is better than a 1080 TI?
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 is considered better than the GTX 1080 TI. However, both are labeled as beasts, and both of them come with huge price tags.
Here is a table to learn about the differences between Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti and Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080.
|Aspects||Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti||Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080|
|Frame Buffer||11 GB GDDR5X||8 GB GDDR6|
|Memory Speed||11 Gbps||14 Gbps|
|Boost Clock||1582 MHz||1710 MHz|
Both RTX 2080 and GTX 1080 Ti are quite fast, however, 2080 uses faster memory, and it also provides a boost at high resolution.
- Ray Tracing
Ray tracing mimics the way rays of light work, which makes gaming far more realistic and visually amazing. 2080 has dedicated RT as well as tensor cores which permits the card to offer a real-time tracing of rays in a game. This card is created in a way that it utilizes traditional rasterization and real-time ray tracing in order to accomplish the best lighting effects, which isn’t available in the 1080 TI as it doesn’t contain dedicated hardware which is necessary for ray tracing.
Moreover, DLSS makes 2080 a better card, however not all the games support RT or DLSS. Here is a list of titles that do support RT.
- Ark: Survival Evolved.
- Final Fantasy XV.
- Fractured Lands.
- Hitman 2.
- Islands of Nyne.
- Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries.
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
- The Forge Arena.
- We Happy Few.
- Darksiders III.
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds.
- Remnant: From the Ashes.
- Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass.
- Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice.
- Outpost Zero.
- Deliver Us The Moon: Fortuna.
- Fear the Wolves.
- Overkill’s The Walking Dead.
Lastly, 2080 is a better graphic card that utilizes new technology and provides faster performance compared to 1080. 2080 is better than 1080 in some ways like 2080 contains Ray Tracing, which is quite significant in games.
Can 1080ti run 4K 60fps?
The GeForce GTX 1080 Ti was the first graphics card that is capable of handling 4K gaming without accepting slow frame rates as well as diminished graphical settings.
The GTX 1080 Ti is based on a design called GP102, it contains 3,584 GPU cores, 224 texture units, and 88 ROPS. Its base clock consists of 1480MHz and the boost clock is 1582MHz, as well as 11GB of RAM.
At 1080p, Intel’s Broadwell-E can maintain a frame rate that is 8-9% higher compared to the Ryzen 7 1800X’s on average. however at 1440p, this difference reduces to 4-7% and by 4K, those two CPUs are tied.
The main point of trying out the GTX 1080 Ti with these two CPUs was to put the world’s fastest GPU with Ryzen 7 and see if the CPU was able to keep the GPU fed.
After witnessing Ryzen’s weak 1080p review, we learned that the chip may not be able to maintain a substantially faster GPU than the 1070 one.
On the basis of game-by-game, Ryzen and Broadwell usually gain the same amount of performance while moving from 1070 to the 1080 Ti. This is particularly true in the case of moving from 1440p to 4K.
- 1080 was launched in May 2016, and it replaced 980.
- 1080 is the best choice for 1440p or some light 4K gaming.
- The 1080 TI is an expensive version of 1080, however with more memory, bandwidth, and transistors.
- 1080 Isn’t powerful enough to handle 4K.
- Both 1080 and 1080 Ti can handle 1440p, however, with high settings, these graphics cards will do wonders.
- The 1080 TI was launched in March 2017.
- The 1080 TI is equivalent to the RTX 2070 Super and 5700 XT.
- Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 is better than the GTX 1080 TI.
- GPU Architecture of Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 is Turing, while Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti’s is Pascal.
- The memory speed of Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 is 14 Gbps, whereas Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti’s is 11 Gbps.
- Boost Clock of Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 is 1710 MHz and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti’s is 1582 MHz
- Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 has dedicated RT, while Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti doesn’t.
- The GeForce GTX 1080 Ti can handle 4K gaming and doesn’t accept slow frame rates and diminished graphical settings.
- The GTX 1080 Ti is based on GP102 design.