The Jordan brand and Nike’s Air Jordans are commonly confused with one another. Many people mistakenly believe that they are the same; however, there are some distinct differences between the two.
While both are named after basketball superstar Michael Jordan, Nike’s Air Jordans have a higher quality design and construction than traditional Jordans making them more expensive.
The player and the brand recently celebrated their 38 years of partnership in Oct 2022. Additionally, Jordan is a branch of Nike whereas Air Jordans are a specific line of sneakers created by the brand.
Ultimately, understanding the distinction between these two can help shoppers make an informed decision when investing in footwear.
This article helps you differentiate the two; additionally, there will be more interesting facts about these brands. So, let’s dive into it.
What is Jordan?
Jordan is a line of sneakers, apparel, and accessories released by Nike which was first introduced in the mid-1980s.
It is named after basketball superstar Michael Jordan and was created to give him more exclusive sneaker releases.
Today, the Jordan brand has extended far beyond the original basketball sneaker, having collaborated with numerous celebrities and athletes to create a wide range of products. Jordan is now an iconic brand that has become synonymous with quality and style.
What is Nike’s Air Jordan?
The Air Jordan line of sneakers was first released in 1984, a collaboration between Nike and basketball star Michael Jordan.
The first Air Jordans featured an all-new cushion system, Air Sole, which reduced the weight of the shoe without sacrificing performance. Air cushioning also helped to protect muscles, joints, and tendons as the foot struck the ground.
Since its debut, Nike’s Air Jordan has become an iconic silhouette, defining modern basketball and sneaker culture. The Air Jordan line continues to expand and innovate, creating products that stand out among the competition.
With its recognizable style and quality construction, it is no wonder why Air Jordans are still a favorite among sneakerheads and athletes alike.
Here’s how Air Jordan built an approximately $3.6 billion sneaker empire.
|Nike’s Air Jordan
|Jordans typically retail for $190-$225, depending on the model and style.
|Design and performance
|Each Jordan is crafted with meticulous attention to detail, featuring a unique combination of materials and colors that honor Michael Jordan’s legacy. The iconic Jumpman logo can be found on many Air Jordan models.
|Jordans are designed to offer superior cushioning, comfort, and flexibility for the most intense basketball players. The sole provides excellent traction and stability for quick cuts and jumps.
|Nike’s Air Jordan line has become one of the most iconic and sought-after sneakers in the world. Its unique design, performance features, and iconic status have made it a beloved shoe by athletes and collectors alike.
What is Air Technology in Shoes?
Air technology in shoes refers to the use of airbags within shoes to provide cushioning, stability, and support.
The most common type of airbag used in shoes is a type of foam that has been fused with air bubbles. This type of foam is lightweight, flexible, and provides excellent cushioning for the foot.
The bags are usually sealed so that they don’t leak air and provide superior cushioning over traditional foams. Some shoes also use an outer layer of rubber or plastic to provide additional shock absorption and stability, as well as a protective layer for the airbag.
Air technology in shoes can also be used to provide cushioning and support for the entire foot or just specific areas of the foot such as the heel or arch. This allows for more customized cushioning and support.
Pros of Air Technology in Shoes
- It enhances cushioning and shock absorption, providing superior comfort for the wearer.
- It helps to reduce the risk of injury by providing more support and stability to the feet.
- The lightweight design makes it ideal for running and other activities that require quick movement.
- The air technology in shoes can help improve posture and balance while walking or standing, reducing fatigue and improving overall performance.
Cons of Air Technology in Shoes
- They are more expensive than traditional shoes, making them unaffordable for some people.
- The air technology can wear out over time, resulting in a decrease in the cushioning and shock absorption benefits that it provides.
- It may not be suitable for those with certain foot conditions, such as plantar fasciitis or heel spurs.
- Overuse of air technology can lead to injury due to a lack of proper support and stability in certain areas.
- The air technology may not be suitable for all types of terrain, which could also increase the risk of injury if used incorrectly.
- The air technology can make it more difficult to accurately gauge the amount of pressure being applied to certain areas, making it harder to adjust the fit of the shoe.
Jordans vs. Air Jordans
Jordan is a sub-branch and an umbrella term for shoes and other things like footwear and apparel advertised by Nike whereas “Air” in Air Jordans tells us that in this specific shoe Air technology is incorporated in the sole.
Air is not only limited to the Jordan line of shoes by Nike it also is used in shoes other than Jordans.
- Overall, Jordan brand is a highly successful and influential company within the global sporting goods industry.
- It was founded in 1984 to produce high-quality basketball shoes and other athletic gear and has since grown into a major player in the field.
- With its iconic Air Jordan sneakers and collaborations with major retailers has become one of the most recognizable brands in sports today.
- Whether you’re looking for casual sneakers or performance footwear, Jordan has something to suit every taste and budget.