The difference between both the eggs is that in the case of a fried egg, you cook it from both sides. While in the case of a sunny-side-up egg, you don’t flip it, instead you pour the oil or butter on the top of the egg. Additionally, the yolk and white on the top remain slightly under cooked and runny.
The fried eggs that are flipped and cooked equally from both sides come under different types – over hard, over medium, and over easy.
Well, eggs are something that is a necessity for breakfast and cannot be substituted. Interestingly, a fried egg adds a whole 196 calories to your daily intake and yet they are quite simple to cook. Though there are many factors that you need to consider to get an evenly cooked egg.
In this article, I’m going to differentiate between different types of eggs. I’ll also share nutrition facts about the egg.
So, let’s get into it…
Types of Eggs
- Boiled egg
- Scrambled egg
- Fried egg
- Sunny side up
- Poached egg
All the types are further divided into many forms but today we will only discuss a few of them.
Why would someone prefer a sunny-side-up egg over a fried over-easy egg?
There are various reasons why people prefer sunny-side-up over a fried over-easy egg. Firstly, they both have runny yolks, though the main difference is that the sunny-side-up egg has runny white as well. Those who do not prefer runny whites can choose an over-easy egg. When cooking an over-easy egg, you flip the egg but do not cook the yolk completely.
How To Cook Poached Egg?
Poached eggs are healthier than fried eggs because you don’t need to use oil to cook them. For some, it’s a mystery to cook a perfect round poached egg. You may wonder why the shape of your egg always turns out flat just like a fried egg. It’s important to take a deep pot, so the egg has enough space to swirl around.
- Take water in a deep pot
- Heat the water on high flame
- The next step would be straining the loose egg white
- Now keep the egg with tight white aside
- Your water is ready once bubbles start appearing on the surface of the pot
- Add one or two tablespoons of vinegar (white or apple cider) to the water and give it a good stir
- In the meanwhile, you should add the egg to the water
- Now, take the egg out and check if it’s cooked by tapping the finger
- You can add it to the iced water to stop the cooking process
- Take fresh eggs because they’ve tight whites, otherwise, you won’t get the perfect round shape
- Don’t salt the water or your egg white will separate from the egg
Nutrition Facts Of Fried Egg Vs. Poached Egg
The nutrition facts of the egg vary depending on how you cook it. Here are the nutrition facts of both fried and poached eggs to help you differentiate which one is healthier:
|Nutrition Facts||Fried Egg||Poached Egg|
|Total Fat||15 g||9 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||0.8 g||0.7 g|
|Sodium||207 mg||297 mg|
|Potassium||152 mg||138 mg|
|Sugars||0.4 g||0.4 g|
|Cholesterol||405 mg||370 mg|
Poached eggs are healthier than fried eggs.
Egg Nutrition Facts
Difference Between Fried Egg And Sunny Side Up Egg
How to cook sunny-side-up eggs perfectly?
To cook sunny-side-up eggs you need the following:
- Pepper (optional)
- Skillet (preferably nonstick)
- Grease (butter or olive oil)
- Heat the skillet on a low flame.
- Grease the pan with a good amount of butter or any oil of your preference
- Wait for at least a few seconds until the butter is heated
- Now add the egg
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper
- Let the egg cook unless the white of the egg starts setting up
- The next step would be basting the grease on the top of the egg
Fried eggs include over-hard, over medium, and over-easy eggs. What sets them apart is how much you cook the yolk.
- Over Easy Egg – This fried egg has a runny yolk but you cook both sides.
- Over Medium Egg – Over medium egg has a half-cooked yolk.
- Over Hard Egg – This type of fried egg has a very hard yolk. The egg sandwiches have this egg because the yolk is not runny and won’t create any mess.
To cook a perfect fried egg the method is no different from a sunny side up egg. You just flip it when its one side is done and cook the other side to your liking based on the types mentioned above.
Tips To Cook Sunny Side Up And Fried Egg
- Take fresh eggs
- Don’t cook the egg in unheated oil
- Don’t flip the egg
- Keep the heat low otherwise, the surface of the egg will burn
- The nutritional value of both fried egg and sunny-side-up is the same.
- The fried egg and sunny-side-up egg require the same ingredients and utensils.
- The difference is in the cooking process.
- For the sunny side up, you don’t flip the egg. Rather, you pour the grease on the top of the egg.
- In the case of fried eggs, you flip the egg and cook both sides equally.
- The white and yolk of the sunny-side-up remain runny.
- While the white of a fried egg is cooked well. Though, it’s up to you how much hard or easy you want to keep the yolk.