Different television shows and films are honored with prestigious awards every year. They celebrate excellence in television, film, and radio.
The Emmys and the Golden Globes are two of the most prestigious award ceremonies in the world.
The Emmys are awarded by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, which was founded in 1946 by a group of television executives. The Golden Globes are awarded by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA), which was founded in 1943 to promote film industry professionals from around the world.
The main difference between the two awards is that the Golden Globes are given out based on a combination of votes from press members and industry professionals, while Emmys are determined by a peer vote from members of the academy.
They also differ in terms of their eligibility requirements. For example, you must have appeared in at least three episodes of a TV show in order to be considered for an Emmy nomination. However, you can be nominated for a Golden Globe if you were only in one episode of a series or movie.
Let’s discuss these two awards in detail.
What Is The Golden Globe Award?
The Golden Globe Awards is an annual ceremony that honors the best in film and television. It was created by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) and first presented in 1944 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
The Golden Globe Awards are given each year to honor the best films and television programs of the year. The award ceremony is held in January of each year in Beverly Hills, California, at a hotel owned by the HFPA.
The award statues are made from gold-plated britannium (an alloy of zinc, tin, and bismuth), which has been used since 1955. Each statue weighs 7 pounds (3 kilograms) and stands 13 inches (33 centimeters) tall. The awards were designed by Rene Lalique who was also responsible for designing other famous awards such as The Oscars and Emmy Awards.
What Is The Emmy Awards?
The Emmy Awards is a ceremony held by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences to honor outstanding achievements in American television programming.
The Emmys are presented in a number of categories, including outstanding drama series, outstanding supporting actors in a drama series, outstanding writing for a drama series, and more.
The Emmys were first awarded in 1949, and have been given out annually since then. The awards ceremony is held each year at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles as part of the Primetime Emmy Awards.
The Emmys are typically hosted by an actor or actress who has recently won an Emmy or multiple Emmys; this tradition began in 1977 when Shirley Jones hosted the event after winning Best Supporting Actress for her role on The Partridge Family.
Know The Difference: The Golden Globe And Emmy Awards
The Golden Globe and the Emmys awards are the ceremonies held in the media industry to give awards to well-decorated actors and actresses.
- The Golden Globe Awards are presented by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association to honor the best in film and television.
- The Emmys, on the other hand, are presented by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences and honor excellence in television, including comedy, drama, and reality programming.
- The Golden Globe Awards are given out based on votes from members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA), while the Emmys are given out based on votes from more than 18,000 active members of all branches of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (ATAS).
- The Golden Globe Awards ceremony takes place each January at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles whereas the Emmys ceremony takes place each November in different locations around Los Angeles.
Here is the table summarizing the differences between both award ceremonies.
|Golden Globe Awards||Emmy Awards|
|This award is given for excellence in motion pictures.||This award is given for achievement in the television industry.|
|The Golden Globes is held in January every year.||The Emmys is held in November each year.|
|The Golden Globe Awards are given out based on votes from members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.||The Emmys are given out based on votes from more than 18,000 active members of all branches of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.|
Which Is More Prestigious: Golden Globe or Emmy?
When it comes to prestige and awards, there is no doubt that the Emmy Awards are more prestigious than the Golden Globes.
The Emmy Awards have been around since 1949 and are given out by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. The awards are given to members of the television industry, including actors, writers, and other workers in television. Many consider this award to be one of the most prestigious in entertainment because it is voted on by peers in the industry.
The Golden Globes were first awarded in 1944 as part of a celebration put on by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA). This group consists of journalists from all over the world who report on Hollywood news for publications outside of Los Angeles.
While this may seem like a great way for people outside of LA to get involved with awarding stars for their work, in reality, most people believe that there is too much bias from foreign press members when voting for winners each year.
Why Is It Called Emmys?
Originally named Immy, Emmy was a nickname for an image orthicon camera tube. Emmy Award statuettes depict a winged woman holding an electron above her head, representing art and science.
How Much Is An Emmy Award Worth?
The worth of an Emmy award depends on a number of factors, including the year it was awarded and whether or not it has been engraved.
For example, an Emmy Award from 1960 is worth $600 to $800 while one from 1950 is worth only $200 to $300.
An Emmy Award without an inscription is worth around $10,000 but can sell for as much as $50,000 depending on who won it. For example, if Gary David Goldberg won in the category of Outstanding Writing in a Comedy Series for “Family Ties,” it might sell for more than $10,000 because he was so famous at the time.
However, if someone like Mary Tyler Moore had won it in that same category for her work on “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” then her award would likely be worth less than half of what Goldberg’s would be because she wasn’t as well-known by the general public.
Do You Get Money For Winning A Golden Globe?
You receive money for winning a Golden Globe award.
Winners of the Golden Globe Awards receive $10,000 in cash. The money is given to them by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA), which presents the award show.
The HFPA also gives out a few other awards aside from the Golden Globes:
- Awards for Best Actor in a Drama Series, Best Actress in a Drama Series, Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical Series, and Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical Series are worth approximately $10,000 each.
- The Award for Best Television Series—Drama and the Award for Best Television Series—Musical or Comedy are worth around $25,000 each.
- The Golden Globes and Emmys are both awards shows, but they’re different in some key ways.
- The Golden Globe Awards have been around since 1944, while the Emmys have been awarded since 1949.
- The Golden Globes are voted on by members of the HFPA (which is made up of journalists from around the world), while Emmys are voted on by a jury of industry professionals.
- The Golden Globes have a more casual dress code than the Emmys and have fewer categories than the Emmys.