We all have natural hairstyles that make us look beautiful and adorable. However, women are always concerned about changing their hairdo that better suits their personality and give them a distinct appearance.
But some hairstyles might confuse us, just like Wavy Hair and Curly Hair. Many people often consider them as one, but they have a difference between them.
In this article, I will do my best to clarify both words as clearly as possible and give some fantastic suggestions for changing your hairstyle to wavy or curly.
Curly Hair vs. Wavy Hair: Biological Discrepancy
The form of the cell that gives rise to curly hair could explain why a scalp is covered in them.
Curly Hair has an oblong cell form, which causes the hair follicle to grow very near to the scalp, and the hair does not grow straight, instead, curls itself like a cobra snake’s curls.
Curly Hair has a rough, wool-like texture. Curly Hair is frequently seen in people who live in hot and humid settings. They are found in most African people of Negro heritage.
Curly Girl Method For Curly Hair Care
Curly hair is not relaxed; therefore, much care is needed to minimize the damage it can cause.
For the maintenance of curly hair, a Curly Girl Method approach is introduced by author Lorraine Messy which discourages the frequent use of sulfate shampoo as it causes extreme dryness to curly hair.
This approach encourages the use of cleansing conditioners and defines some other tips to use styling products and accessories (comb, blow dryer, brushes, etc.) to keep the dryness at a minimum level while keeping them moisturized.
Wavy Hair is neither straight nor curly. It does, however, have glimpses of curls, which show up as waves in otherwise straight hair. Curly hair is distinguished by spirals, which are absent in wavy hair.
The cells that produce wavy hair have a circular shape. It permits the hair to grow in a straight direction, though not necessarily in a straight line, as with straight hair, which grows in a 180-degree approach.
The hair is also silky, not coarse, and thick. White-skinned people have either straight or wavy hair. The coat of people from Asian countries is wavy.
Geometrical Difference Between Wavy and Curly Hair
Curly hair completes a 360-degree full circle during their twist. On the contrary, wavy hair forms a letter’ S’-shaped style that runs from side to side.
Tighter waves can emerge as loose spirals or corkscrew, but they cannot create a complete round at the same height. That’s the main difference between curly and wavy hair.
General Differences Between Wavy and Curly hair
Salons have a general trend of forming curly hair using a heated method. But if they brush it out and change it to some classical formation of wavy hair, uploading the picture on their page with hashtags “curly hair” might confuse people, explicitly looking for wavy hair. Below are general differences in both hairstyles:
- Wavy hair is less porous
- Wavy hair needs to be clarified explicitly
- Curl patterns in wavy hair are more likely to begin lower on the head.
- Straightening wavy hair is simpler as compared to curly hair.
- Wavy hair is heavier than curly hair.
- Wavy hair is more prone to losing definition than curly hair
- Deep conditioning is not frequently required for wavy hair as opposed to curly hair that might need deep conditioning for moisturization so that you can comb them properly.
- Wavy hair is more likely to require hard hold products to preserve definition.
- Certain techniques such as finger-coiling, wet styling, or using a Denman brush are less likely to work for wavy hair.
The Starting Point of Wavy and Curly Hair
People also get involved in a kind of discussion about the starting point of wavy and curly hair. Some say that wavy hair start near the ears while curly hair begins at the root.
However, it all depends on the texture of your hair, which can change when you jump out of your bed in the morning and comb your hair, so it starts appearing naturally, or by using different routine methods and shampoo or any other cosmetic products like gels, etc. that can slightly create a tremendous change in what you would like to have.
Below is a tutorial on 9 types of curls/waves.
Find Out in Which Category Your Hair Falls
Let’s demonstrate the types of Hair accordingly as described by the “Andrew Walker Hair Typing System,” which is a system created in the 1990s by Andrew Walker, the stylist of Oprah Winfrey, to classify hair types, which ultimately will help you to find out in which category your hair falls and will clarify your thoughts on the wavy and curly pattern of hair.
These types are split into four categories and further in the subcategories A, B, and C, so now keeping our discussion specific to the class where wavy and curly hair falls.
|Wavy Hair||Curly Hair|
|2 A||Loose “S” style wavy pattern||3 A||Thick and loose curls having a combination texture with large volume, are frizzy, definite.|
|2 B||Frizzy Hair, has a more definite “S” pattern which resists styling||3 B||Curls having a combination texture with a medium amount of space|
|2 C||Waves are spread wider||3 C||Refers to hair that is tightly curled|
Advantages and Disadvantages of Curly and Wavy Hair
Curly Hair Advantages
- It’s easier to notice
Curly hair come in a range of shapes and sizes, including loose or tight curls. In a mass of people during the hangout, a short corkscrew and tight curls are identifiable. This is a plus for folks who have curly hair.
Flexibility and adaptability are one of the main benefits of curly hair. It’s in vogue to wear your hair down with a lovely headband or up in a simple messy bun. It’s trendy to make braids in curly hair.
- Shampooing is reduced
It’s fine if you forgo shampooing and blow-drying your hair for a day or two if you have curly hair.
- Tangles and knots are kept to a minimum
When curly hair become tangled, it is far less obvious than when straight hair become knotted. Curly hair are one-of-a-kind and stunning!
Curly Hair Disadvantages
- Humid Weather
Hot, humid, and sticky weather is not suitable for curly hair. If you don’t tie them up in a tight bun, they will look like sticky noodles or a lion’s mane.
- Full length is hidden
Curly hair is not seen to its full length. Because the curls are twisted, they appear to be much shorter than they are. Only when your hair is damp or straightened can you see the entire length of it.
- Difficult to straighten
It can take hours for curly hair to straighten up.
Wavy Hair Advantages
- More Volume
It has more volume than straight hair, although strong products can quickly flatten it. With hair growing down from the scalp, waves are most evident at the hair ends.
It’s yet another frizz-free hair type. Waves are more prominent in this hair type.
Wavy Hair Disadvantages
Wavy hair is more susceptible to dullness, and moisture loss through the hair shaft.
Does a Combination of Curly and Wavy Hair Exist?
This is a logical question that can arise in the mind. The answer is yes. People do have a combination of both occurring naturally. If some hair pattern falls amid 2 and 3 categories, the person has a curly and wavy hair combination.
How To Care For Curly and Wavy Hair?
Those with curly hair look pretty good and cute, and you might receive a lot of compliments on that, or maybe you are just surviving the questions about how you obtain these types of hair from individuals who probably have straight but want to get curly hair.
But apart from that, it’s difficult for you to manage this hair, and you may be looking out for the best hair care advice. Don’t worry, you are at the right place. Below are some hair-care techniques that will eventually assist you in maintaining gorgeous tresses.
• Washing and cleaning are the first steps in any hair care advice, so choose your shampoo wisely. Avoid shampoo formulas that contain sulfates, silicones, alcohols, parabens, etc. Just go for those free from all these chemicals, or you will feel irritation on your scalp. Secondly, stay away from excessive shampooing
• Avoid aggressive brushing; this may lead to damage and breakage. Use your fingers or make a habit of using a wide-toothed comb.
• When you can’t resist using heat on your hair, use a decent heat protectant spray. To protect your natural lovely curls, use low heat and a diffuser.
• Use of hot water can take off natural oils from your scalp, so always try the safest path, i.e., use cold water to wash and clean curly hair.
• Oiling is the best way to keep your hair moisturized and improves blood circulation for healthy hair growth.
•Trim your hair every 6-8 weeks to reduce the formation of split ends that cause damage to the hair.
•Tie your hair into a ponytail while sleeping.
Wavy hair is distinct from curly hair. If you have wavy hair, you can make a lot of different hairstyles that look prepossessing. Wavy hair has a beautiful texture.
Like other hairstyles, if you are an individual with wavy hair texture, look below for some tips on protective measures for these kinds of hair.
• Buy a shampoo prepared specifically for wavy hairs that can define waves. Use conditioner and apply it from mid to the end of the hair length.
• Leave your hair to dry naturally.
• First, untangle your hair knots with fingers, or comb your hair while still in the shower.
• Chemical procedures such as hair coloring and chemical relaxers should be avoided. Chemical methods harm the Hair, and it can be challenging to repair the damage. If you decide to color your hair, choose an organic hair dye.
Generally, there are four main hair types i.e. straight, wavy, curly, and kinky hair. Here we have discussed the differences between curly and wavy hair.
Curly hair has a 360-degree full-circle twist while wavy hair is soft and makes an “S” shaped style. People use these terms interchangeably, but they have specific differences that we have discussed above.
They differ in volume, texture, spacing, etc. The texture of the hair can also be affected by the way you sleep and tie them up. Despite the difference in hairstyles, both are unique. However, it’s up to your choice which hairstyle you naturally have and want to keep.
By identifying the type of hair, it will become easier for you to choose your shampoo and various hair styling products that best suit you. Several youtube videos are available for making different hairstyles for curly or wavy hair. If you need any advice for the protection of your hair, consult a suitable person.
So, keep shining and have a healthy hairstyle, by devoting some time to hair care.
- Mythical VS Legendary Pokemon: Variation & Possession
- Leading VS Trailing Brake Shoes (The Difference)
- Don’t Starve VS Don’t Starve Together (Explained)
- “In the Office” VS “At the Office”: Differences